Monday, April 2, 2012

Ecological Footprint Calculations



After taking the Ecological Footprint quiz at www.footprintnetwork.org I was shocked to see that 5.8 planets would be needed if everyone lived the way I did. I know I have to start making steps towards changing the way I live my life. According to http://uw.kqed.org/climatesurvey/index-kqed.php my climate profile is "Concerned", which I do agree with. I want to change the way I eat and think to be more sustainable.


Action 1:
     The first action I will take is eating meat 6 days a week instead of 7. After taking the ecological footprint quiz, I saw that my choice in food consumption is having a huge negative impact on the environment. I eat meat almost every day of the week, so I want to limit that down to 6 days a week. This will reduce my CO2 use by 700 lbs a week, which equals out to 7,000 lbs by the end of this quarter and 36,500 lbs by the end of the year!

Action 2:
     The second action I will take is reducing hot water shower times to 5 minutes. I normally take 15 to 20 minutes showers. This will reduce a total of 300 lbs of CO2 and will really save me money on my utilities bill.

Action 3:
     The third action I will take is setting my water heater to 120 degrees. This will reduce my C02 by 150 lbs.

Action 4 (Will not be recorded in specific savings):
     Another action that I will take is riding the transit more often to work than driving an old Ford Explorer that gets about 15 mpg. This will save between 450 and 4,000 lbs  




1 comment:

  1. Stewart -- these are reasonable goals, and should be doable given that you have quantified them. I like your action #4, I will be interested to see how you do :)
    50/50

    ReplyDelete