Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sustainability progress (week 1)

     I have successfully set my water heater temperature to 120 degrees. I actually haven't noticed much of a difference in water temperature, probably because I'm focusing so hard on finishing my showers within five minutes. I like leaving in my hair conditioner for a couple minutes, so I've found that it's a good idea to turn off the water while I wait. It's been weird going from spending at least 15 minutes in the shower and relaxing in the hot water to spending 5 minutes in the shower and stressing over the amount of water I'm consuming, but I know that over time I will get used to it.
     I had my first no meat Monday yesterday and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. I like that I'm being more concious and aware of my food consumption. For breakfast I had a muffin, for lunch I had a salad and an egg sandwich, and for dinner I had bean and cheese burritos. The hardest thing for me when trying to avoid meat is that I work at the mall, and usually go to the food court on my break to eat McDonalds or Subway. I never quite feel like I'm getting my moneys worth if I don't get meat in my meal if I'm paying the same price, but I know that the low price of meat is hurting the environment. I've decided to bring vegi meals to work, because paying the same price for a sandwich with meat and without at Subway doesn't seem logical. Overall I think I've had a successful first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment